Dances of India 39th Annual Premier Performance
Come and experience the dynamic,eclectic, enchanting dance of Dances of India! The venerable St. Louis company presents an original, scripted & narrated dance-drama,
The Music of Water---Tales of Adventure, Love, & Magic, Along India's Sacred Rivers.
These fully narrated dance-dramas have become Dances of India's hallmark of graceful storytelling. Featuring dozens of dancers from the company, and narration by St. Louis writer Nartana Premachandra, each dance-drama puts a unique spin on a classic Indian myth, without ever compromising on core virtues and values.
This year, The Music of Water will tell the following stories:
1. The Miraculous Ascent of the Moon---the deity of the moon, cursed by the father of his 27 wives to fade away, prays to Shiva for aid...how will Shiva help?
2. The Child who Quelled the Rage of a Goddess--who is this child, that can curb the fury of the goddess of the earth?
3. The Woman who was Granted Every Wish She Ever Requested--is this good or bad?
4. The Ultimate Sacrifice--what will a male deity do, to see Krishna in the gardens, where only women are allowed?
5. The End is the Beginning. Is the End.---Which confluence of rivers, do you need only to envision, in order to eliminate all negativity from yourself? In which epic myth does this tale originate?
Come and find out the answers to all these questions!
IN ADDITION, FRIDAY NIGHT ONLY, Saint Louis Ballet will present the Balanchine classic, Serenade. This breathtakingly beautiful ballet highlights the flow of movement, the graceful syntax of dance, the music,...of water...
You will see all this plus a dazzling array of classical Indian dance.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON PERFORMANCE IS A MATINEE--
The Music of Water will be performed in its entirety, while the rest of the program will be performed by intermediate & advanced students, along with graduates of Dances of India.
Skip Viragh Center for the Arts at Chaminade College Preparatory School (View)
425 S. Lindbergh
St. Louis, MO 63131
|Kid Friendly: Yes!|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: Yes!|